Grilled cheese sandwiches were one of my favorites as a kid. I think it’s really one of those classic bits of my history that I can say most children share. It’s usually quite simple: bread grilled on the stove top with butter, and then melted cheese. You can toast the bread too, but I never did.
Still, like everything in this world, this little gem of a sandwich can be improved with bacon. Yup, it’s time to rock and roll people. Move up to the big leagues. Shift things into overdrive. Crank up the volume! Make— okay I’m done, you can get grilling these Grilled Double-Cheese and Bacon Sandwiches now.
- EIGHT slices of bacon (feel free to use more, of course)
- FOUR 1/4-inch-thick slices of red onion
- FOUR 3/4 oz. slices of cheddar cheese
- FOUR 3/4 oz. slices of mozzarella cheese
- EIGHT 1/2-inch-thick slices of sourdough or Vienna bread (substitute the bread if you have a favorite or something)
- Heat closed contact grill for 5 minutes.
- When grill is heated, place bacon on bottom grill surface. (If necessary, cook 4 slices at a time.)
- Close grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Remove bacon from grill and drain on paper towels. Cut bacon slices in half crosswise.
- If you made extra bacon (which you should have obviously), this is a great time to munch a bit on your extras.
- With rubber scraper, carefully scrape most of drippings from grill into drip tray.
- Add onion to grill and close it. Cook 4 to 6 minutes or until tender.
- To make sandwiches, layer cheddar cheese, cooked bacon, onion and mozzarella cheese between bread slices. Place 2 sandwiches on bottom grill surface.
- Close grill and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Serve these delightful little beauties and bask in your awesomeness. Do Not Share.